Wednesday, December 12, 2007

After Thanksgiving we went to my hometown of Aiken, SC to see kin and check out the old sights.

This is Barbara's brother and family in Aiken. Front row, left to right, is Arden and Bronwyn Bishop, children of Byron and Laurie Bishop on left of back row. Middle front row is Brandon Shaw, son of Terry Beal (back row right). Next is Ann wife of Jimmy Bishop on front right. Terry's husband Fred Beal stayed in Montana to keep the home fires burning! Right nice looking group!
Jimmy and Barbara were raised in Walterboro, SC. Jimmy and Ann moved to Aiken in the seventies. I left Aiken in 1959 when I went off to Clemson to get educated!
A closer shot of the fountain and the horse stature in the background. Aiken is a real horse town, it has been from almost its beginning.

This is the water fountain and the old post office at the end of the Main street in Aiken. My great grand Father on mother's side of the family actually picked the site for the post office. He lived in Orangeburg. So I was told!


This is the beautiful South Boundary, so named as it was the southern boundary of Aiken when the town was laid out in 1835. I am not sure when the Water Oaks were planted but they overlapped the street the first time I remember seeing them more than sixty years ago! I would guess that the tree covered street is more than a mile long. I had forgotten that one of our land's more lovely sights was in my home town.



No comments: